Viewing convention Program information from 2008
Saturday, 27 December
14. Langston Hughes, American Intellectuals, and the Loss of Civil Liberties in the McCarthy Era: National Repercussions
3:30–4:45 p.m., Van Ness, Hilton
Program arranged by the Langston Hughes Society
Presiding: Dolan Hubbard, Morgan State Univ.
1. “Langston Hughes’s ‘Literary Sharecropping’ during the Cold War,” Sharynn Owens Etheridge, Claflin Univ.
2. “American Hysteria, Civil Liberties, and the Literary Left: Langston Hughes and Lorraine Hansberry,” Kara Fontenot, Univ. of Maryland, College Park
3. “Hughes’s Scottsboro Literature: Toward Socialist Postraciality,” Benjamin T. Foster, Southern Illinois Univ., Carbondale
4. “Langston Hughes and the High Cost of Free Speech,” Renita Lorden, Los Angeles, CA
For copies of abstracts, visit www.langstonhughessociety.org.
No comments have been posted for this session. Log in
to post a comment.