Viewing convention Program information from 2006
Friday, 29 December
400. The Place of Music in Science Fiction and Fantasy
10:15–11:30 a.m., Grand Ballroom Salon J, Philadelphia Marriott
Program arranged by the Discussion Group on Science Fiction and Utopian and Fantastic Literature
Presiding: Seo-Young Jennie Chu, Harvard Univ.
1. “Music, Social Power, and the Law in Speculative Fiction,” John Garrison, San Francisco, CA
2. “What Dreams Sound Like: The Sound of Space and Place in Forbidden Planet,” Nicholas Laudadio, Univ. of North Carolina, Wilmington
3. “Echoes of the Ainur: Cosmological Environmentalism in The Lord of the Rings,” Anthony Lioi, Massachusetts Inst. of Tech.
4. “The Collective Chorus versus the Subversive Solo Song: Dueling Music in the Dystopias of Yevgeny Zamyatin, Ayn Rand, and George Orwell,” Shoshana Milgram Knapp, Virginia Polytechnic Inst. and State Univ.
No comments have been posted for this session. Log in
to post a comment.