Viewing convention Program information from 2009
Tuesday, 29 December
451. Joseph Conrad and Charles Darwin
12:00 noon–1:15 p.m., Independence Salon II, Philadelphia Marriott
Program arranged by the Joseph Conrad Society of America
Presiding: Anne Luyat, Université d’Avignon
Professor Richard Ruppel, President of the Joseph Conrad Society, will
replace Professor Hunt Hawkins as the respondent to the panel.
1. “Metafictions of Descent and the Imprint of Darwin in Conrad,” Peter Mallios, Univ. of Maryland, College Park
2. “Conradian Affect, the Narrative of Solidarity, and Darwin’s The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals,” Debra Romanick Baldwin, Univ. of Dallas
3. “Mimesis in the Post-Darwinian World: Conrad’s Revolutionary Anthropology and the Conception of the Racial Other,” Nidesh Lawtoo, Univ. of Washington, Seattle
4. “Atavism, Recidivism, and Degeneracy: Conrad and the Evolution of the Fin de Siècle Divided Self,” David Mulry, Schreiner Univ.
Respondent: Hunt Hawkins, Univ. of South Florida, Tampa
No comments have been posted for this session. Log in
to post a comment.