185. Access to Western Culture, Its Fulfillments, Its Illusions
Sunday, 4 January, 8:30–9:45 a.m., 301, Hynes
Program arranged by the American Association of Professors of Yiddish
Presiding: Victoria Aarons, Trinity Univ.
1. "Nakhmen Mayzil's Kultur-front: Literary Translation into Yiddish in the Interbellum Period in Poland," Ellen D. Kellman, Brandeis Univ.
2. "Mentsh un Vunder! Modernization, Domestication, and the Creation of the Yiddish Jules Verne," Sebastian Schulman, Indiana Univ., Bloomington
3. "Why Is This Novel So Different? Bergelson's The End of Everything and European Modernism," Jeffrey D. Wallen, Hampshire Coll.
4. "The Polish Whiskers and the Jewish Tongue: On Y. L. Peretz's Not Becoming a Polish Writer," Ofer Dynes, Harvard Univ.
Responding: Hana Wirth-Nesher, Tel Aviv Univ.
|© 2014 Modern Language Association.|