Thursday, 30 December
767. Here and Now: Approaches to Current Events through Children’s Literature
1:45–3:00 p.m., 401–403, Philadelphia Marriott
Program arranged by the Children’s Literature Association
Presiding: Nathalie op de Beeck, Illinois State Univ.
1. “Weapons of Mass Destruction, Renegade Dictators, and Flower Pots: Umberto Eco’s ‘The Bomb and the General,’” Maria Rosa Truglio, Penn State Univ., University Park
2. “My Brother Sam Is Dead and the Uses of Ambivalence: Understanding National Melancholia and the Wars in Vietnam and Iraq,” Eric L. Tribunella, Graduate Center, City Univ. of New York
3. “The Holocaust Landscape of Holes,” Elizabeth Ford, Westminster Coll., PA
4. “The Great Irish Famine and World Hunger Today: Children’s Historical Literature Makes the Connection,” Karen Hill McNamara, Drew Univ.
|© 2013 Modern Language Association.|