629. Nature, Culture, and Gender in Hawthorne's Work
Tuesday, 5 January, 5:15–6:30 p.m., Back Bay A, Sheraton
Program arranged by the Nathaniel Hawthorne Society
Presiding: David Greven, Univ. of South Carolina, Columbia
1. "Wild Man / Cultured Man: Native Americans and Scottish Highlanders in The House of the Seven Gables," Julie E. Hall, Sam Houston State Univ.
2. "Sick Buildings and Unhealthy Interiors: The House of the Seven Gables and the Medicalization of Architecture in Mid-Century America," Maura D'Amore, Saint Michael's Coll.
3. "I Am Mother's Child: Embryology and Abortion in The Scarlet Letter," Dana Medoro, Univ. of Manitoba
4. "'Singularly Connected': Mirror Neurons and Deep Ecology in Blithedale and Septimius," Robert Daly, Univ. at Buffalo, State Univ. of New York
|© 2015 Modern Language Association.|