Monday, 28 December
247. The South and the Sublime
1:45–3:00 p.m., 402–403, Philadelphia Marriott
Program arranged by the Society for the Study of Southern Literature
Presiding: Thomas F. Haddox, Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville
1. “The Feminine Sublime and the Ethics of Passive Resistance,” Lisa A. Hinrichsen, Univ. of Arkansas, Fayetteville
2. “Nineteenth-Century Southern Writers and the Tropical Sublime,” John Wharton Lowe, Louisiana State Univ., Baton Rouge
3. “The Milledgeville Asylum and the Georgia Sublime,” Mab Segrest, Connecticut Coll.
4. “Changing Things in the Black Atlantic: Modern Metamorphoses and the Sublime Thingness of Poetry in Yusef Komunyakaa and Derek Walcott,” Daniel Cross Turner, Siena Coll.
For abstracts, visit www.wm.edu/english/sssl/ after 1 Dec.
|© 2013 Modern Language Association.|