Sunday, 09 January
819. (Re)Presentation of the “Other” by the South Asian Diaspora
1:45–3:00 p.m., 303B, LA Convention Center
Program arranged by the South Asian Literary Association
Presiding: Joylette Williams Samuels, Nassau Community Coll., NY
1. “Reviving the Coolie Woman: Archives, Migration, and Gender in Ramabai Espinet’s Novel The Swinging Bridge,” Nandini Dhar, Univ. of Texas, Austin
2. “From Chai House to Kurma House International: Dialectic of the ‘Other’ in Chitra Banerjee Devkaruni’s Queen of Dreams,” Omendra Kumar Singh, Government P G Coll.
3. “Jodhabai: The Ghostly Other in Emperor Akbar’s Court,” Christine Florence Vogt-William, Emory Univ.
4. “Engaging Literature and Hip-Hop: Refugees and the Diasporic Critique of Sri Lankan History,” Kavita Daiya, George Washington Univ.
For abstracts, write to Joylette.Samuels@ncc.edu.
|© 2015 Modern Language Association.|