21. Literary Sociologies of Race and Ethnicity
Friday, 9 January, 12:00 noon–1:15 p.m., Lincolnshire, Chicago Marriott
Program arranged by the Division on Ethnic Studies in Language and Literature
Presiding: Richard T. Rodríguez, Univ. of Illinois, Urbana
1. "'Bundles, Fragrant Cheese, and Unimaginable Sausages': M. E. Ravage's Composite American and Early-Twentieth-Century Americanization," Cristina Stanciu, Virginia Commonwealth Univ.
2. "Chester Himes and Horace Cayton: The Strange Fruit of Embattled Fear in Lonely Crusade," Dominick Rolle, Emory Univ.
3. "Decaying Logics of the Color Line: Jean Toomer, Charles S. Johnson, and the Function of Poor Whites," Christina Belcher, Univ. of Southern California
4. "Houses and Hysteresis: Status Symbols and Temporality in Dorothy West's The Living Is Easy and Paule Marshall's Brown Girl, Brownstones," Elda María Román, Stanford Univ.
|© 2014 Modern Language Association.|