Wednesday, 29 December
516. Religions and the Republic
3:30–4:45 p.m., Congress C, Loews
Program arranged by the Division on Twentieth-Century French Literature
Presiding: Ann Austin Smock, Univ. of California, Berkeley
1. “Legislating Laïcité: The Law’s Elusive Contexts,” Philip E. Lewis, Cornell Univ.
2. “Unpacking the Veil in France: The Symbolic, the Literary, the Political,” Alison H. Rice, Univ. of California, Los Angeles
3. “Films of Christian Atheism: Robert Bresson’s Turn to Rhetoric,” Joseph Mai, Tulane Univ.
4. “Every Angel Is Terrifying: Maoism, Messalianism, and the Political Theology of ’68 in Lardreau and Jambet,” B. Madison Mount, Princeton Univ.
|© 2014 Modern Language Association.|