579. Why Comics Are and Are Not Picture Books
Thursday, 7 January, 5:15–6:30 p.m., 303, WSCC
Program arranged by the Division on Children's Literature and the Discussion Group on Comics and Graphic Narratives
Presiding: Charles Hatfield, California State Univ., Northridge; Craig Svonkin, Metropolitan State Coll. of Denver
1. "Picture Book Guy Looks at Comics: Structural Differences in Two Kinds of Visual Narrative," Perry Nodelman, Univ. of Winnipeg
2. "Not Genres but Modes of Graphic Narrative: Comics and Picture Books," Philip Nel, Kansas State Univ.
3. "Graphic Novels' Assault upon the Republic of Reading," Michael Joseph, Rutgers Univ., New Brunswick
4. "The Panel as Page and the Page as Panel: Uncle Shelby and the Case of the Twin ABZ Books," Joseph Terry Thomas, San Diego State Univ.
|© 2015 Modern Language Association.|