Sunday, 28 December
197. Language, Literature, and the Politics of Area Studies
8:30–9:45 a.m., Yosemite A, Hilton
Program arranged by the Discussion Group on Interdisciplinary Approaches to Culture and Society
Presiding: Gaurav G. Desai, Tulane Univ.
1. “9/11, the United States, and Postcolonial Studies; or, ‘Whose Side Are You on Anyway?’” Alfred J. Lopez, Purdue Univ., West Lafayette
2. “The Politics of Area Studies: Homeland Security, House Resolutions, and the Place of Academic Memoir,” Cynthia Franklin, Univ. of Hawai‘i, Mānoa
3. “The Geopolitical State of Exception: Area Studies after 9/11,” Sophia A. McClennen, Penn State Univ., University Park
4. “Check, Check: Sensitizing Scholars and Students to Sensitive Topics of Area Studies in the United States,” Shirin E. Edwin, Sam Houston State Univ.
|© 2015 Modern Language Association.|