Tuesday, 29 December
562. Cities, Sounds, Frequencies, Translations
7:15–8:30 p.m., Regency Ballroom C2, Loews
Program arranged by the Discussion Group on Interdisciplinary Approaches to Culture and Society
Presiding: Catherine Taylor, Ithaca Coll.
1. “Lower Frequencies: Audio-Ethnography and the Limits of Cross-Cultural Hearing,” Brian Hochman, Harvard Univ.
2. “Hillbilly Music in Africa: Notes on Sound, Race, Translation, and Affect,” Erich Nunn, Auburn Univ., Auburn
3. “Sight, Sound, and Resonant Frequencies in Philadelphia,” Arthur J. Sabatini, Arizona State Univ. West
4. “Radio, Harlem, and the Frequency of Cross-Cultural Connectivity in Langston Hughes’s 1940s Poetics,” Janet Neigh, Temple Univ., Philadelphia
|© 2014 Modern Language Association.|