Friday, 29 December
400. The Place of Music in Science Fiction and Fantasy
10:15–11:30 a.m., Grand Ballroom Salon J, Philadelphia Marriott
Program arranged by the Discussion Group on Science Fiction and Utopian and Fantastic Literature
Presiding: Seo-Young Jennie Chu, Harvard Univ.
1. “Music, Social Power, and the Law in Speculative Fiction,” John Garrison, San Francisco, CA
2. “What Dreams Sound Like: The Sound of Space and Place in Forbidden Planet,” Nicholas Laudadio, Univ. of North Carolina, Wilmington
3. “Echoes of the Ainur: Cosmological Environmentalism in The Lord of the Rings,” Anthony Lioi, Massachusetts Inst. of Tech.
4. “The Collective Chorus versus the Subversive Solo Song: Dueling Music in the Dystopias of Yevgeny Zamyatin, Ayn Rand, and George Orwell,” Shoshana Milgram Knapp, Virginia Polytechnic Inst. and State Univ.
|© 2014 Modern Language Association.|