764. Mapping Pre-1965 South Asian America: Race, Empire, and Transnational Mobilization
Tuesday, 6 January, 1:45–3:00 p.m., 303, Hynes
Program arranged by the Discussion Group on South Asian Languages and Literatures
Presiding: Rajender Kaur, William Paterson Univ.
1. "The Picturesque Hindu: Photography, the Press, and the Emergence of a Racial Subject in Early-Twentieth-Century North America," Manan Desai, Syracuse Univ.
2. "Indian Visitors at the 1893 Chicago Exposition," Anupama Arora, Univ. of Massachusetts, Dartmouth
3. "Transnational Solidarity: Resisting Imperialism in India and Ireland," Suchismita Banerjee, Univ. of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
4. "Racing the South Asian American Subject: The Pre-1965 Bureaucratic Origins of South Asian American Racial Identity," Sailaja Sastry, Barnard Coll.
|© 2015 Modern Language Association.|