Thursday, 28 December
323. Conceptualizing Diaspora, Rethinking Europe: Black European Studies Today
7:15–8:30 p.m., 402–403, Philadelphia Marriott
A special session
Presiding: Sara Lennox, Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst
1. “Performing Blackness and Sexuality: Postcolonial and Queer Approaches to Black European Studies,” Kanika Batra, Loyola Univ., Chicago
2. “Diaspora: Concept and Consciousness in Chris Ofili’s Holy Virgin Mary and Helen Oyeyemi’s Icarus Girl,” E. C. Eze, DePaul Univ.
3. “Geography as Destiny: The Locations of Black Europe and Meanings of National Identity,” Tracy Denean Sharpley-Whiting, Vanderbilt Univ.
4. “A Volk to Come: Black Germans and the African Diaspora,” Alexander G. Weheliye, Northwestern Univ.
|© 2013 Modern Language Association.|