Sunday, 28 December
219. Where Nation and Empire Converge: Writing the Panama Canal
10:15–11:30 a.m., Yerba Buena Salon 4, Marriott
A special session
Presiding: Frances Betty Jaeger, Northern Illinois Univ.
1. “‘Circulatin’ the Gifts o’ Heaven from the Auld Warld to the New’: Panama, Nation Building, and Empire in the Celtic Style,” Christopher Nicholls, New York Univ.
2. “Writing the Panama Canal from the Caribbean Perspective,” Maida Watson, Florida International Univ.
3. “Home Zone: The ‘Thrill’ of Empire Building in the United States–Panama Canal Zone,” Ana Patricia Rodríguez, Univ. of Maryland, College Park
4. “Where Nation and Empire Clash: National Narratives in Joaquín Beleño’s Canal Trilogy,” Frances Betty Jaeger
For copies of abstracts, write to email@example.com after 20 Dec.
|© 2015 Modern Language Association.|