524. Colonial Canvases: Texts and Portraits in Early Spanish America
Thursday, 7 January, 1:45–3:00 p.m., Boren, Sheraton
A special session
Presiding: Cristian Roa, Univ. of Illinois, Chicago
1. "Representing Quetzalcoatl in the Florentine Codex: Overlapping Visual and Verbal Literacies and the Encyclopedic Organization of Knowledge," Cristian Roa
2. "Retrato poético y cultura visual en las Elegías de varones ilustres de Indias, de Juan de Castellanos (1589)," Raul Marrero-Fente, Univ. of Minnesota, Twin Cities
3. "Portraying Deformity in the Arts: The Textual and Visual Representations of the Criollo Playwright Juan Ruiz de Alarcón," Raul Alvarez-Moreno, Univ. of British Columbia
4. "Portraits of Indigenous Crowned Nuns: Visible Traces of Colonial Rhetoric," Monica Diaz, Georgia State Univ.
For papers and images, visit www.msu.edu/~quispeag.
|© 2015 Modern Language Association.|