205. Peterloo Revisited: New Forms of Political Dissent in the Aftermath of the 1819 Manchester Massacre
Saturday, 4 January, 8:30–9:45 a.m., Beacon F, Sheraton
A special session
Presiding: Michael T. R. Demson, Sam Houston State Univ.
1. "The Clerical Magistrate," John Gardner, Anglia Ruskin Univ., Cambridge
2. "'Science Is the Antichrist': Chemistry, Instruction, and Revolution in Richard Carlile's The Republican," Mary Fairclough, Univ. of Huddersfield
3. "Shelley's Other Response to Peterloo: Violence and Nonviolence in 'A Philosophical View of Reform,'" Matthew C. Borushko, Stonehill Coll.
4. "The Violence of Form in Shelley's 'Mask of Anarchy,'" Seth Reno, Wittenberg Univ.
|© 2013 Modern Language Association.|