9. The John Brown Event: Approaches to Nineteenth-Century Righteous Violence
Saturday, 9 January, 12:00 noon–1:15 p.m., Los Angeles–Miami, Chicago Marriott
A special session
Presiding: Jason Berger, Univ. of South Dakota
1. "Unionism, Repressive Tolerance, and Righteous Violence: Garrison's Antislavery Ethics," Martha E. Schoolman, Dickinson Coll.
2. "Harpers Ferry and the Process of Emancipation," Deak Nabers, Brown Univ.
3. "Serializing Violence: Harper's Weekly and the Civil War Draft Riots," Colleen Glenney Boggs, Dartmouth Coll.
4. "A Violent Ethics of Whiteness: W. E. B. Du Bois and the John Brown Model of Race Reform," Ryan Schneider, Purdue Univ., West Lafayette
|© 2015 Modern Language Association.|