789. Approaches to Feminist Orientalism: The Enlightenment to the Contemporary
Monday, 12 January, 1:45–3:00 p.m., Illinois, Chicago Marriott
A special session
Presiding: Samara Cahill, Nanyang Technical Univ.
1. "The Despot and the Harem: Gender, Sexuality, and Reform in the Orientalist Culture of the Enlightenment," Hsu-Ming Teo, Macquarie Univ.
2. "Feminist Orientalism and Enlightenment England's Quest for Eden," Bethany Williamson, Southern Methodist Univ.
3. "'To Strike Out a New Path': Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, Mary Astell, and Muslim Veiling Practices," Humberto Garcia, Vanderbilt Univ.
4. "Revisiting 'Feminist Orientalism' in the Twenty-First Century," Joyce Zonana, Borough of Manhattan Community Coll., City Univ. of New York
|© 2014 Modern Language Association.|