17. Art, Activism, and Post-Civil-Rights Black Identity
Saturday, 9 January, 12:00 noon–1:15 p.m., Purdue-Wisconsin, Chicago Marriott
A special session
Presiding: Marlon Bryan Ross, Univ. of Virginia
1. "Civil Rights, a Dream Deferred?" Soyica Diggs Colbert, Dartmouth Coll.
2. "A Band of Angels of Art: Nina Simone, Lorraine Hansberry, and The Politics of Friendship," Salamishah Tillet, Univ. of Pennsylvania
3. "James Baldwin and the Making of Late Style," Dagmawi Woubshet, Cornell Univ.
4. "'Where You Gon Be Standin?': Spatial Logics, Civil Rights Discourse, and the Poetics of Black Lesbian Identity," GerShun Avilez, Yale Univ.
|© 2015 Modern Language Association.|