Sunday, 09 January
692. Life on Pandora: Immersive Technological Narratives and Nightmares in Avatar
8:30–9:45 a.m., Diamond Salon 8, J. W. Marriott
A special session
Presiding: Kevin Moberly, Old Dominion Univ.
1. “Single White Human Looking for Group: Spectacle and High-Technology Positivism in James Cameron’s Avatar,” Kevin Moberly
2. “In the Magic Mirror That Is Pandora: 3D Technology, Disorientation, and Seduction behind and before Avatar’s Screen,” Keith Dorwick, Univ. of Louisiana, Lafayette
3. “Ethnicities and Captivities: Avatar and the Politics of Immersion,” Delores B. Phillips, Old Dominion Univ.
4. “An Avatar with No Body: Removing Culture from the Na’vi Language,” David Malinowski, Univ. of California, Berkeley
For abstracts, visit www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~kxd4350/avatar.
|© 2014 Modern Language Association.|