MLA 125 t-shirts are available for purchase in the MLA exhibit booth.
1. First off, I’ll review the MLA election results in the Convention News and Program Update. This is the first year we’ve used an electronic ballot, and the feedback was mixed. I’m always happy to get input--positive or negative--from members on the new things we try (like my 2009 convention Twitter
2. I want to swing by the MLA exhibit booth in the Marriott. I hope that by moving the exhibit hall from the convention center to a hotel this year, there will be lots of traffic at all the exhibits. We’ll be selling commemorative “MLA 125” T-shirts at our exhibit booth to celebrate 125 years of MLA conventions. You can get a free T-shirt with a $50 purchase at our booth or buy one for $15.
3. At 10:15 a.m. I’ll be at the Presidential Forum session The Tasks of Translation in the Global Context
. I invite you to join me as MLA President Catherine Porter presides over this year’s forum, which will feature speakers Tom Clark Conley, Verena Andermatt Conley, Naoki Sakai, Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak, and Brett de Bary.
4. I’m planning to have lunch with some of my MLA colleagues today, but I may skip out early to head over to Capogiro Gelato
on 13th Street. I’m crossing my fingers they have the Nocciola Piemontese among their daily list of flavors
5. I will be at the two Delegate Assembly Opening Hearings
, always lively sessions, where members get to speak on the items the Delegate Assembly will consider tomorrow.
6. I promised to stop by the graduate student lounge to greet those who are using it to rest, refuel, or network. Rumor has it cookies appear in the lounge, but just for students!
7. Of course I’ll be attending the Presidential Address
tonight. Vice President Sidonie Smith will hand out the MLA prizes
, and I’ll give my annual report on MLA activities. Catherine Porter will then speak, which I know will be a highlight of the convention for me. I hope you will come listen to her tonight.