Advertising in PMLA
Since 1884 PMLA, the journal of the Modern Language Association of America, has published articles of interest to scholars of language and literature. It appears in five annual issues:
All issues are sent directly to about 28,000 college and university teachers of English and foreign languages who belong to the association and to about 1,900 libraries worldwide.
- Four issues (January, March, May, October) present essays and other literary-critical writings.
- The November issue is the program for the association's annual convention. The 2015 convention will take place in Vancouver on 8–11 January.
All library subscribers receive PMLA online, and some choose to receive the print version as well. Readers of the online version can consult the index of advertisers and easily browse, print, and save ad pages.
Electronic Archive on JSTOR
JSTOR provides the electronic archive for PMLA, in which issues from 1886 to 2008 are available in a searchable, full-text format. Since advertisements are included with the issues, your ads can be viewed in perpetuity. At the end of each year, the next annual volume of PMLA is added to JSTOR. Thus, at the end of 2014 the 2009 volume will be added.
Circulation Statistics (2013)
|Library subscriptions|| 1,917|
|Percentage of the membership in the United States and Canada||91%|
|Percentage of the membership in other countries||9%|
||Volume Agreement 129 (2014) Advertisers
|Covers II and III, by volume agreement only
There is no cash discount or agency discount. Volume rates require at least one insertion in each issue of volume 129. Cover positions for 2015 will be offered to those volume advertisers who place the largest number of advertisements in 2014. Please note that Cover IV is only available to advertisers on the November issue.
Download volume advertising invitation.
Download volume agreement form.
Volume 129 Deadlines
||22 Oct. 2013
||5 Nov. 2013
Fall Textbook Preview
|17 Dec. 2013
||7 Jan. 2014
||4 Mar. 2014
||18 Mar. 2014
Spring Textbook Preview
Special Topic: Tragedy
|26 June 2014
||10 July 2014
|22 July 2014
||5 Aug. 2014
Extensions may be possible; please write or call.
Download 2014 advertising rates and order form.
- Trim: 7.5 inches (wide) x 10.5 inches (high)
- Printing method: web offset, computer-to-plate
- Text stock: 45# white matte-coated paper
- Text printing: black ink only
- Only ads in electronic form are accepted. All ads should be submitted in Adobe Acrobat PDF and e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Full page: 6" wide x 8.75" high
- Half page: 6" wide x 4.25" high
- Bleed pages and color are not accepted.
- Quarter-page ads are not accepted.
- Do not include crop marks or color bars.
Download full instructions and specifications.
- Ads must not exceed dimensions given above.
- Content and appearance of advertisements are subject to publisher's approval.
- New advertisers must send payment with their insertion orders.
- Insertion orders must precede or accompany materials.
- Tear sheets will accompany invoice.
- The MLA will bill advertisers directly or through an agency; in either case, advertisers are responsible for prompt payment of money due PMLA.
Send volume-rate agreements, insertion orders, PDFs, and correspondence to
Advertising Manager, PMLA
Modern Language Association
26 Broadway, 3rd floor
New York, NY 10004-1789
All electronic advertisement materials must be e-mailed to email@example.com.