Advertising in PMLA
Since 1884 PMLA
, the journal of the Modern Language Association of America, has published articles of interest to scholars of language and literature. It appears in five annual issues:
- Four issues (January, March, May, October) present essays and other literary-critical writings.
- The November issue is the program for the association's annual convention. The 2016 convention will take place in Austin, Texas, on 7–10 January.
All issues are sent directly to over 26,000 college and university teachers of English and foreign languages who belong to the association and to about 1,850 libraries worldwide.
All library subscribers receive PMLA
online, and some choose to receive the print version as well. Readers of the online version can consult the index of advertisers and easily browse, print, and save ad pages.
Electronic Archive on JSTOR
provides the electronic archive for PMLA
, in which issues from 1886 up to five years before the present are available in a searchable, full-text format. Since advertisements are included with the issues, your ads can be viewed in perpetuity.
Circulation Statistics (2014)
|Library subscriptions|| 1,841|
|Percentage of the membership in the United States and Canada||91%|
|Percentage of the membership in other countries||9%|
||Volume Agreement 130 (2015) Advertisers
|Covers II and III, by volume agreement only
There is no cash discount or agency discount. Volume rates require at least one insertion in each issue of volume 130. Cover positions for 2016 will be offered to those volume advertisers who place the largest number of advertisements in 2015. Please note that Cover IV is only available to advertisers on the November issue.
Volume 130 Deadlines
||18 Nov. 2014
||9 Dec. 2014
Fall Textbook Preview
|10 Feb. 2015
||3 Mar. 2015
||24 Mar. 2015
||21 Apr. 2015
Spring Textbook Preview
Special Topic: Emotions
|23 June 2015
||14 July 2015
|28 July 2015
||18 Aug. 2015
Extensions may be possible; please write or call.
- Trim: 7.5 inches (wide) x 10.5 inches (high)
- Printing method: web offset, computer-to-plate
- Text stock: 45# white matte-coated paper
- Text printing: black ink only
- Only ads in electronic form are accepted. All ads should be submitted in Adobe Acrobat PDF and e-mailed to email@example.com.
- Full page: 6" wide x 8.75" high
- Half page: 6" wide x 4.25" high
- Quarter-page ads are not accepted.
- Bleeds are not accepted.
- Ads must be black and white only. Convert images to grayscale before exporting to PDF. Avoid all color functions, such as ICC profiles.
- Halftone images should have a resolution of at least 300 dpi. Embed all images.
- Embed all fonts.
- Flatten all transparencies.
- Do not include crop marks, color bars, registration marks, or slug lines in the file.
- Ads must not exceed dimensions given above.
- Content and appearance of advertisements are subject to publisher's approval.
- New advertisers must send payment with their insertion orders.
- Insertion orders must precede or accompany materials.
- Tear sheets will accompany invoice.
- The MLA will bill advertisers directly or through an agency; in either case, advertisers are responsible for prompt payment of money due PMLA.
Send volume-rate agreements, insertion orders, PDFs, and correspondence to
All electronic advertisement materials must be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advertising Manager, PMLA
Modern Language Association
26 Broadway, 3rd floor
New York, NY 10004-1789