Proposing a Special Session
Thank you for your interest in proposing a special session for the 2014 MLA Annual Convention in Chicago. The deadline to submit a proposal was 1 April 2013.
Special-session proposal forms for the 2015 convention will be available after the 2014 convention. Session organizers who wish to post a call for papers will be able to do so beginning in August.
Important Proposal Information
- Completed proposals must be submitted on the proposal form by 1 April.
- Only current MLA members may propose a special session.
- MLA members may propose only one special session per convention.
- Audiovisual equipment requests must be included on the proposal form.
- Special-session proposals may not be combined with other sessions or jointly submitted.
- Session participants must be MLA members (or have their membership waived) by 7 April.
- No more than two participants (including the session leader and respondent) may be from the same institution unless the institution is a key aspect of the session.
- Proposals are reviewed by the Program Committee in May; session organizers are notified of the committee’s decision by early June.
The above is only a partial list of proposal instructions. We strongly recommend that you review the links below before beginning your proposal.
Proposal Form Examples
Detailed Description of Session
Information on the Panelists’ and Presiders’ Scholarship and Relevant Information
Tour of Special-Session Proposal Form
Useful Information for Session Proposers
Calendar of Deadlines
Procedures for Organizing Meetings at the MLA Convention
Scoring Guidelines for Special Sessions
What Makes a Successful Special-Session Proposal?